How To Unflip iPhone Camera Photos In 2020
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
The front camera on your iPhone flips photos when you capture them. Much to your surprise, it actually unflips them.
If you are wondering why it does so then you should continue reading this article.
Here in this guide, we share why does your iPhone camera flip the picture.
You will also learn how you can take selfies without flipping and also flip photos on iPhone that are already taken and stored on your Camera Roll.
Table of Contents
Why The Picture Gets Flipped?
When you open your iPhone’s front camera to take a selfie you see a mirror image.
It is because of the fact that we are used to looking ourselves in the mirror hence the camera is designed to show us exactly that.
However, once you tap on the capture button the photo gets unflipped and then saved to Camera Roll. This means that the photo you see in the Camera Roll is an exact match to how you looked while capturing the photo and not what the Camera app showed.
Even though it might seem strange at first but once you understand this then you will know that your selfie is actually unflipped.
For better understanding look at the screenshots below and observe the text on my t-shirt before and after taking the selfie.
If the iPhone camera didn’t unflip your picture then all your selfies will be mirror images and the ones clicked with the rear camera will be real/correct ones. Which of course would be bizarre really.
That said, we as users would like to have mirror or flip photos and iOS has no setting whatsoever to disable flipping of photos. But you don’t have to feel disappointed as there are apps which can do that for you.
Recommended: How To Reverse A Video On Android And iPhone
Flip Photos On iPhone
There are two parts to this:
- Taking photos or selfies that aren’t flipped.
- Unflip or flip (as you would usually call it) the photos that are already taken.
Here’s the solution for both of them.
How To Stop iPhone Front Camera From Flipping Selfies?
- To capture mirrored photos you need to install Photo Flipper app which is available for free on the App Store.
- After opening the app tap on the Camera icon and allow it to access your phone’s Camera. Tap on the capture button to take the selfie. So far the behavior is the same as the usual iPhone Camera but here’s the catch.
- By default, the mirrored photo (similar to the one you saw before taking the picture) will be saved to your Camera Roll when capturing pictures with this app.
This app is also capable of resolving the second issue that I listed above. You can flip/unflip photos that are already existing on your iPhone using this app. To do so use the simple steps below.
- On the home screen of the app, tap on the Gallery icon and allow the app to access your Photos.
- Next, select the desired album and photo to flip.
- Swipe left or right to flip/unflip the photo.
- After flipping it you can save the picture by tapping on the share icon at the bottom right and select Save Image.
There’s another similar app Mirror (link) that you can try but it doesn’t have the feature to flip existing photos.
Recommended: Turn Picture Into Emoji On iPhone
Mirror Existing iPhone Photos
If you mostly want to flip the selfies after you have captured them then you may install Adobe Photoshop Express app from this link.
- On opening the app give the necessary permissions.
- Next, select the desired photo and tap on the Crop icon.
- Now, tap on the Rotate tab and select Flip Horizontal.
- After that, tap on Share icon at the top right and select Camera Roll.
The mirrored image will be saved in the Photos app.
Here we have handpicked other tutorials in which you might be interested:
Now You Know How to Unflip iPhone Camera Photos
These were several apps you could use to flip or mirror iPhone photos. If you found the information in this article helpful then don’t forget to share it on social media with your friends.
Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc, or its affiliates.