Huawei chairman accuses the US of ‘non-stop aggression’
US sanctions on Huawei stem from concerns that the company’s close ties to the Chinese government and army could mean that its technology is used for espionage in the future – a suggestion which Huawei executives have repeatedly denied.
New sanctions introduced this year led to the UK government’s decision announced in July to block Huawei from the country’s new 5G networks.
However, Huawei’s chairman said on Wednesday that the business has “sufficient stock” of components to continue operating, despite US sanctions.
“We are still looking for ways to address the chipset for smartphones. But we also have been aware that US chip vendors are actively applying for licences to continue to supply to Huawei from the US government,” he said.
Earlier this week, Intel was granted permission by the US government to supply chips to Huawei, helping the company to continue producing its laptops.
Mr Ping said on Wednesday that Qualcomm, another US technology company, had applied for a licence to provide chips to Huawei. “If they get the licence we are willing to continue to procure from them and use their chipsets in our smartphones,” he said.