The Best UK Mobile Phone Deals for April 2020
UK mobile phones deals are in a constant state of flux and never seem to sit still. Because of this, renewing your mobile phone deal can be a stressful ordeal, with lots to consider.
There’s everything from the best provider to go with, which retailer to purchase from, and what kind of phone contract you actually want. But most importantly — what is the best mobile phone deal?
Compare the Best Deals from This Week
- Galaxy S20 5G: £39/Month, 60GB Data, £175 Upfront
- iPhone 11: £36/Month, 45GB Data, £99 Upfront
- Pixel 4: £23/Month, 4GB Data, £40 Upfront with PCMAG10
That’s a lot of information to process, so PCMag is here to help you compare the best UK mobile phone deals, and break down all the mobile phone jargon along the way. All of the essential information you will need is contained within this article, alongside some helpful links in case you already know what you’re after.
Whatever budget you’re working with, this guide will help you to find the best UK mobile deals for March 2020. If you want to compare phone deals, this list, alongside our price comparison chart, is always a great starting point on your journey to a contract.
The Best Samsung Galaxy S20 Pre-Order Deals
After being announced last month Galaxy S20 pre-order deals are coming in thick and fast. Mobiles.co.uk are matching the price of the cheapest 4G Galaxy S20 plan, so there has never been a better time to start your journey into the world of 5G. For just £39 per month, and £165 upfront with PCMAG10, you’re getting 60GB data and a brand new device on release day March 13, 2020.
If you’re after more deals on the Galaxy S20 Plus or the Galaxy S20 Ultra check out the dedicated roundup on PCMag.
- O2: £39/Month, 60GB Data, £175 Upfront
- EE: £49/month, 60GB data, £79.99 Upfront
- Vodafone: £37/Month, 20GB Data, £225 Upfront
Compare the Best iPhone 11 Deals
iPhone 11 is the new entry level device, replacing the iPhone XR. It is over £300 cheaper than the Pro and Pro Max device, starting at £729. One of the main differences between the new handsets is the camera, as the 11 comes with a two-camera setup, whereas the more expensive alternatives come with three rear-facing cameras.
The top iPhone 11 deal at the moment is this £36 per month deal at Affordable Mobiles. Featuring 45GB data, and only £99 upfront, this is one of the cheapest offers available at the moment for the latest Apple smartphone. If you’re looking for more deals on the 11 Pro and Pro Max, check out our dedicated roundup right here.
Best Google Pixel 4 Deals
Pixel 4 launched last year and has impressed so far in 2020. If you’re looking for a capable android smartphone and don’t want to pay too much, Pixel 4 is an incredible budget-friendly device that will suit most users.
Best Samsung S10 Deals
With the Galaxy S20 just weeks away, the Galaxy S10 continues to see a dramatic reduction in price. If you’re not bothered about the latest Samsung tech, the Galaxy S10 continues to a be brilliant device will plenty to offer.
- EE: £31/Month, 20GB Data, £55 Upfront with PCMAG10
- O2: £28/Month, 16GB Data, £130 Upfront with PCMAG10
Best Huawei P30 Pro Deals
Probably the most well known Chinese phone at the moment, the Huawei P30 continues to be an advanced addition to the Android phone market.
Prices are very competitive, and you can currently get claim £120 cashback with Huawei.
- EE: £31/Month, 20GB Data, £115 Upfront with PCMAG10
- EE: £36/Month, 45GB Data, £40 Upfront with PCMAG10
- EE: £39/Month, 60GB Data, £25 Upfront with PCMAG10
New Phone: Can I Keep My Number?
- Text PAC to 65075
It’s incredibly easy to switch your phone number over to a new device. All you need is a PAC (Porting Authorisation Code) from your old network.
Recent regulations from Ofcom now mean you can switch providers without having to call up your old network.
All it takes is one text, here are the relevant steps:
- If you want to switch and keep your existing phone number text “PAC” to 65075 to begin the process
- Your existing provider will respond by text within a minute
- You will then receive the switching code (PAC), which will be valid for 30 days
- All provider’s reply must also include important information about any early termination charges or pay-as-you-go credit balances
- Your PAC code can be handed to new provider, and the company must arrange for the switch to complete within one working day
One in six people want to keep their mobile number when they switch. For those who don’t, you can text “STAC” to 75075 to request a “service termination authorisation code”.
The Best Phone Network?
Every network has its own benefits, but there isn’t really a wrong choice when it comes to picking. All the networks have their own set of advantages, so here’s some to take note of when buying your next phone.
- Great 4G and 5G speeds
- Free BT Sport
- Free Apple Music
- Priority rewards (2-4-1 dinners, free coffee, and more)
- WiFi hot-spot access
- Data coverage abroad
- Red Entertainment deals
- New unlimited 5G coverage
- Unlimited data packages
- 4G calls and texts
- London Underground WiFi coverage
Contract or SIM-free?
The most popular option in the UK is paying for your phone through a contract. These allow you to pay for both your device and SIM in one package and benefits those who don’t want to pay-out a massive sum when they get a new phone.
The other option is to buy a phone outright, and then buying the SIM separately. This is a less common option, but it can come with a number of benefits, if you can afford the handset. There’s plenty of freedom when it comes to your data plan and going SIM-free is cheaper in the long run. Although, that initial upfront payment does tend to put most people off.
If you do decide on a SIM-free phone, you should definitely consider the best SIM-only deals in 2019.
What data plan should I get?
- 1-9GB – Realistically, you need at least 1GB on your plan, as most providers will offer this at a reasonable price and will allow for plenty of messaging, mapping, and emailing services on the go.
- 10-19GB – This amount of data is normally more than enough for the majority of users, and will let you download audio, scan social media, and watch YouTube on the go.
- 20-30GB – Big data is perfect for streaming online video from sites like Netflix. Packages like this will also offer plenty of add-ons as well.
- Unlimited – Plenty of providers now offer unlimited data plans, although it can be pricey. If you do want to go unlimited, it could be smart to opt for a SIMO plan and buy your phone outright to reduce overall cost.
What about 5G?
PCMag has a dedicated article that will give you all the relevant information on 5G, but here’s the jist:
The United Kingdom now has its first 5G network. At the end of May, EE, one of the four major providers, launched 5G in six major cities across three countries: London, Cardiff, Edinburgh, Belfast, Birmingham, and Manchester.
Vodafone is the most recent network to switch on, with its 5G network going live on July 10. While Three and O2 will have their own options by the end of the year.
A number of smartphone manufacturers, including Samsung, OnePlus, Huawei, LG, and Oppo are also supporting the new wireless technology.
EE and Vodafone are currently the only UK providers to offer 5G, and all data plans will be expensive, especially in 2020.
But, if you are willing to pay, 5G has the potential to pave the way for a more dynamic and advanced mobile phone future.
Compare More Mobile Phone Deals
The following deals are simply a snapshot of the best out there, so check out PCMag’s other in-depth round ups if you already know which phone you’re after.